2024 COHORT APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN!
2024 MENTOR APPLICATIONS WILL OPEN IN JANUARY
About DC HAPP
DC HAPP is a pipeline program coordinated by the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences Office of Diversity and Inclusion to increase access to healthcare careers and foster diversity in the medical field. Sixteen rising 12th-grade students attending DMV area public schools are selected to participate in the four-week summer experience based on their passion and potential for medicine. Following the four-week program, students have the opportunity to shadow various professionals at the GW Hospital.
DC HAPP scholars gain exposure to healthcare professions, learn hands-on medical skills, develop public health projects, and prepare for college applications and college life. Medical students, physicians, and other medical professionals serve as mentors, facilitators, and teachers.
DC HAPP seeks to:
- Identify, recruit, and nurture talented DMV area public school students from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine who are interested in pursuing careers in the healthcare professions.
- Establish connections between healthcare professionals community, including, but not limited to, physicians, physician assistants, nurses, physical therapists, and medical researchers
- Provide support and resources for program scholars to achieve post-secondary academic success leading to professional careers in the healthcare field
- Build relationships between scholars and the George Washington University community
DC HAPP 2024 Cohort Application Information
The deadline to submit a completed application is Friday, February 2nd, 2024, at 11:59 PM EST. The student application form requires two short essays, a list of activities or resume, and an unofficial transcript. Applicants must also have either two teacher evaluations or one teacher evaluation and one non-teacher evaluation for their application to be considered complete.
- Student Application Form
- Applicants must be rising high school seniors (currently enrolled high school juniors)
- Must be in good academic standing (minimum 2.0 GPA)
- Plans or interest to pursue a profession in the medicine and/or healthcare field
- Identify as a student underrepresented in medicine
- Must commit to the entire summer experience from Monday, June 24th - Friday, July 19th, from 9:30 AM - 4 PM
- Will commit to maintaining contact and follow-up with their mentor and program staff until high school graduation and beyond
DC HAPP Community Health Project Publications
DC HAPP Articles
- DC HAPP Offers High School Students Vision for the Future (2018 cohort)
- DC HAPP Scholars Graduate (2017 cohort)
- Local Rising High School Seniors Get Hands-on Approach to Medicine (2017 cohort)
- Exploring the Potential of Medicine (2016 cohort)
- A Path to the Future (2015 cohort)
- Preparing Students for Health Care Careers (2009 & 2010 cohorts)
Mentor Application Information
The George Washington University
School of Medicine and Health Sciences Office of Diversity and Inclusion
Ross Hall, Suite 730
2300 Eye Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20037