The GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Office of Diversity and Inclusion welcomes and supports lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA) students, faculty, and staff.
- Multicultural Student Services Center LGBTQIA Resource Center
- GW Out for Health, GW SMHS's LGBTQ+ Student Organization (email@example.com(link sends e-mail))
Healthcare - Students
- GW Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP): May cover gender-affirming surgery. Please see plan brochure for details.
- GW Colonial Health Center: The GW Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning (LGBTQ+) health program focuses on addressing the special health care concerns of GW’s LGBTQ+ community. Students who prefer to see a LGBTQ-friendly provider should call 202-994-5300 to request an appointment with one.
- GW Center Clinic: The Center Clinic is run by GW's Professional Psychology department and offers psychological services at sliding-scale prices. In addition to typical talk therapy and psychology testing services, they hold specific group therapy sessions for LGBTQIA+ individuals.
- GW Speech & Hearing Center: The Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences offers services for transgender individuals who wish to undergo speech therapy to make their voices sound more aligned to their gender identity.
Name and Gender Change
- All SMHS Students should follow the instructions on this website: Name and Gender Change Instructions
- MD Program students should also submit the Request for Name/SSN/DOB Update form to the GW MD Program Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail) in order to update information with AAMC
- Faculty and staff must submit the Request for Name/SSN/DOB Update form with the Faculty & Staff Service Center
- TransLaw DC Name and Gender Change Guidance
Gender Inclusive Restrooms
- Ross Hall
- First floor, located next to room 101
- Third floor, exit elevator, go down to end of hallway; bathrooms are on immediate left
- Fourth floor, located inside the CLASS Center
- Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon Campus Gender Inclusive Bathrooms Map
The George Washington University does not unlawfully discriminate against any person on any basis prohibited by federal law, the District of Columbia Human Rights Act, or other applicable law, including without limitation, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the university, including admission to education programs and employment.